GE Healthcare leaves GE, looks to ‘next chapter’

By Flora Southey contact

- Last updated on GMT

Getty/BrianAJackson
Getty/BrianAJackson
Separating from parent company GE will offer GE Healthcare greater flexibility to “react quickly to changes in the industry,” says CEO.

General Electric’s board of directors have approved plans to separate from GE Healthcare – which sells medical imaging, monitoring, biomanufacturing and cell therapy products and services – to focus on the aviation, power and renewable energy sectors.

As a standalone company, which will maintain the GE brand, GE Healthcare “will continue to focus on delivering precision health and improving clinical, operational and patient outcomes for our customers, offering great technology, underpinned by leading digital and analytics capabilities. Life Sciences will remain as a key part of GE Healthcare,” ​a GE Healthcare spokesperson told us.

According to GE Healthcare CEO Kieran Murphy, the newly independent firm will have “greater flexibility to pursue future growth opportunities, react quickly to changes in the industry and invest in innovation.”

We will build on strong customer demand for integrated precision health solutions and great technology with digital and analytics capabilities as we enter our next chapter,” ​he said in a statement​.

GE plans to monetise approximately 20% of its interest in GE Healthcare and distribute the remaining 80% to GE shareholders over the next 12 to 18 months.

A ‘pure-play’ healthcare company

According to GE's CEO, John Flannery, the board’s decision has ‘unlocked’ a pure-play healthcare company: “We are confident that positioning GE Healthcare and [oil and gas servicing and equipment firm] Baker Hughes outside of GE’s current structure is best not only for GE and its owners, but also for these businesses, which will strengthen their market-leading positions and enhance their ability to invest for the future, while carrying the spirit of GE forward.”

Despite the discussions of changes behind the scenes, the ‘pure-play’ firm has continued to invest in the biomanufacturing technology space. This year alone has seen GE Healthcare release the KUBio BSL2​ modular bioprocessing facility for viral vector-based therapeutics,  the Sefia S-2000​ temperature controlled cell processing system for chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy, and complex drug discovery technology, Biacore 8K+​.

The firm’s semi-automated manufacturing platform, the FlexFactory, is also attracting increased attention from cell therapy-focused companies. In January this year​, Cellular Biomedicine Group (CBMG) adopted the technology to make CAR-T therapies, and last month​ Xiangxue Pharmaceutical said it would install the platform to advance clinical and commercial production of cell therapies.

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

dPCR Case Study

dPCR Case Study

CellCarta | 08-Aug-2022 | Case Study

Streamline your adoptive cell therapy program with digital PCR. Our team has a unique expertise in digital and quantitative PCR to support you in ensuring...

The Reagents Behind Much of Molecular Biology

The Reagents Behind Much of Molecular Biology

Thermo Fisher Scientific | 25-Jul-2022 | Case Study

The ability to amplify, modify and fabricate DNA is fundamental to modern molecular biology. Why do so many researchers take their constituent parts for...

Microsampling in Early Phase Drug Development

Microsampling in Early Phase Drug Development

Altasciences | 10-May-2022 | Technical / White Paper

Microsampling significantly lessens the volume of blood and plasma/serum that is collected and analyzed to determine circulating concentrations of therapeutic...

Seasonal Vaccine Manufacturing

Seasonal Vaccine Manufacturing

Baxter BioPharma Solutions | 16-Feb-2022 | Technical / White Paper

The production of seasonal vaccines, such as those for influenza, presents unique challenges to manufacturers due to the necessary time constraints resulting...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars