Cipla acquires mAb manufacturer Mabpharm

By Zachary Brennan

- Last updated on GMT

Cipla acquires mAb manufacturer Mabpharm

Related tags Monoclonal antibodies Manufacturing

Indian biopharma Cipla is pushing further into the realm of monoclonal antibody manufacturing with its purchase of India-based Mabpharm.

Cipla’s subsidiary Meditab Specialties previously owned a 25% stake in the company, and on Thursday decided to purchase the remaining 75% of the company, according to a stock exchange announcement. The company refused to offer any financial details on the deal or more information on its details.

Mabpharm in 2011 set up a biosimilar manufacturing facility in Goa, India, which the company claims can take a product from initial development through cell banking, cell culture, purification and formulation.

The deal follows word from earlier this month in which Cipla announced its intention to invest £100m ($171m) in UK R&D​, which will focus on respiratory, oncology and antiretroviral treatments.

Related topics Bio Developments Biosimilars

Related news